Now you really have to wonder when even the great bastion of tactlessness that I am has to think long and hard about an opinion piece.
I saw this story in the Boredom Ale (border mail) through the week and I have to admit, my first reaction was not so much one of sympathy, rather what a bloody waste.
What the Ballarat Courier fails to mention is that this guy had a longstanding known allergy to bee venom, left his can of alcoholic drink lying around (a known bee attractant) while he went of doing God only knows what, came back, took a swig, SPAT OUT A BEE, and then, far from removing himself to a hospital post haste, KEPT ON DRINKING WITH HIS MATES!!!
Apparently he was found dead some time later.
For those of you unfamiliar with the Darwin awards, in order to qualify, one has to remove one’s self from the gene pool (either die or render ones self infertile) as a result of ones own foolishness.
You can read some examples here.
I’m not saying if he should qualify or not, and I certainly feel bad for his family.
Without drawing any unnecessary conclusions and assuming the circumstances I gleaned from the BMare in fact accurate, you’d have to speculate whether his death was avoidable had a modicum of common sense entered the situation.
I guess it’s all in the transcript now.